Apr 12, 2009

Not just any easter egg hunt!



We had a lot of fun this year at Easter! First, we went to church and that is one of my favorite Sundays because of all of the cute outfits all of the kids wear. Andrew and I are in primary so we get to see them all. After church we went over to my Aunt Kay's and Uncle Kurt's house to have dinner and do the big "hunt". Every year my mom and her sisters do something different with the event. We usually have it at different places and have to do different things while hunting. Like last year we did it in the church gym and so it was a little easier finding the eggs. . . or so we thought it would. So they made us all crawl on our knees with the lights out and every so often they'd flick the lights on. I do need to make a very important note. The average age that participates in finding the eggs is probably around 18. We have some younger and a lot more older :) If you can imagine how ridiculous we all look. Another point is the eggs aren't filled with the traditional jelly beans, no they're loaded with money! So all of us will pretty much do whatever they tell us to. Like one year we were tied at the leg to our spouse or another cousin and had to run/fall trying to find the loot. Now that was crazy.
This year they added a few things (definitely to our benefit!) We had grand prize eggs and over $160 divided in the eggs. So all the "grown ups" aka our parents hid the eggs and then it was game time! I do have to say I don't think I've ever had a bad year. But this year on our first hunt I didn't get a single egg! However, the benefit of being married is there's two hunting at the same time so Andrew came through with 10 bucks and a 2nd choice grand prize egg. Everyone went back in the house and those that got the grand prize eggs were able to pick from the choices. Which included: a mystery wrapped present, $10 cash, $15 itunes card, an ipod home thingy, and a gift certificate for a one night stay at a hotel. We picked the hotel! It was awesome. Then we had one more hunt. They usually try to make it fair for everyone. The first hunt it went youngest to oldest that got out the door first and the second hunt, the unfortunate ones that didn't get a single egg, got to go out the door first. Which included me, my brother Bryan, and my cousin Lacey. The head start didn't make that much of a difference because Bryan was distracting us and holding back me and Lacey that we really didn't hear them say go. They hid the eggs in the yard across the street where no one lives right now so we had to book it across the yard. But I did better that time so maybe the head start helped us out. After it was all said and done Andrew and I came out with $20 and a hotel room. It's going to be a pretty fun date or trip. But the maniacs that dominated the whole hunt were my cousin Mindy and her husband Jon. They came away with $50! They did awesome. What was funny about it was all the married couples were saying "Yeah I'll be able to pay my power bill with this, or we can get gas, or go on a date now." All the others were like sweet extra money. The difference of being on your own.
After reflecting on this and the past years it's very obvious what a GREAT family I have. I couldn't tell you how much money I've got over the years or the prizes, but I can tell you how much fun we've had over these past few years and the moments we've had. That's what counts and I hope that I can learn from the great examples in my life and do fun things with my future kids. Thanks everyone for another great year!
Sorry this is sideways, but ya definitely get the idea!

3 comments:

Brett and Cherice said...

Steph! That is awesome, I would be racing across the lawn too!!:) I am glad you guys had a fun Easter:)

alisekelley said...

Oh how fun! Family is what it is all about!

Johnson Family said...

I think that we will start coming to your Easter egg hunt. :) Sounds like fun. Maybe next year we will have to come up with something fun at the Johnsons too.

Dont worry about dinner the other night. We will for sure have to rescheduale. When is Andrew leaving to Florida?