Jun 6, 2012

The NO diaper club

Last Sunday after talking to my sister-in-law Tiffany about potty training I decided to take on the task. She had read this book that you could potty train in 3 days. Sign me up! I'm glad I didn't know what I was getting myself into because it was not a fun experience and one I'm glad I don't have to do for another 2 years.
The lady in the book recommends that you don't leave the house for 3 days, you don't do any house work, eliminate ALL distractions, and you basically follow your child around constantly. By mid day on day 2 I was maxed!
After countless accidents and countless successes I can say Hayden is potty trained! Yay! The look he gets on his face and when he says "Ooh Potty!" is so cute. He's done so well!  After a week I still am nervous about long outings and leaving him with people for fear he'll have an accident, but the more he does it the better he'll get. I'm sure there might be an accident here or there, but come on even adults can have accidents right! Especially when you're pregnant :)
There were so many times I wanted to put a diaper back on him or some type of pull up at night but I stood strong and he only has big boy undies now. He loves his Mickey Mouse ones, Thomas the train, Cars, and even his whitie tighties that have balls around the elastic. I felt like I wreaked of pee the whole week (which I probably did) and I'm just thankful we have no carpet upstairs but rugs, because everything felt so dirty!

  1. Pointing to his big boy undies with Vinny, his pal, through the whole experience. We put undies on him too  and periodically I'd ask him if his undies were dry and he'd pat himself and say yep! Then we had to make sure Vinny was dry too. He even put him on the potty and cheered while clapping vigorously "Go Binny!!! Dood dob Binny!!! (Good job Vinny)" It was hilarious. And he still claps when Andrew and I go as well. It's still a big deal at our house :) 

Watching Mick Mouse on the Kindle. Since he's gotten the hang of things now he'll gather up what he's doing  i.e cars, strawberries, grapes, the kindle, and then say "ooh potty." I think he likes to have something to entertain himself while on there. When he starts gathering I have a pretty good idea that he's got to go the bathroom.

I'm sure little girls bummy's are cute in undies but I think little boy's are adorable!

We were doing laundry on day #4 and he loves to dump all of his underwear  out of his basket and then put them back in. On this day he wanted to put them ALL on. He had 16 pairs of undies on . . . it back fired on me though,  I think it felt too much like a diaper and so he let it rain! It didn't leak out but into the wash went 16 newly washed undies. It was hilarious having him walk around though!

I'm SO glad that I'm not going to have 2 kids in diapers. Not a fun thought. Thanks so much Tiff for putting the idea in my head. Every person I would talk to about potty training would say how hard boys are to potty train and that they take longer and are older when they start. So I just figured I had to be like that and I guess I was waiting for Hayden to come up to me one day and tell me he wanted to be potty trained :) Well I'm a believer it  can be done! I will start all of my kids, girl or boy, at 22 months. The book was a heaven sent. . . well, in the long run!




4 comments:

Taunya Spaulding said...

Congrats! on both the potty training and the pregnancy! how exciting! i'm pretty sure my garrett will be in diapers til he's 5! not looking forward to the potty training thing! you did an awesome job! good luck with the rest of the pregnancy! :)

Patty Sue Martin said...

So fun to read your posts. However I was looking forward to some prego pics! Good job on potty training my sis in-law told me about that method and I didn't have the discipline to do it. So I'm proud of you and Hayden!!

Jake and Gretchen said...

Hey! I'm so mad I saw you but didnt get to talk to you! I couldn't even tell you were prego. I was dying to see Hayden too. Yay for being over potty training! Seriously one of the hardest things about parenthood if you ask me. Haven't started with Ali and Avery...I'm terrified not gonna lie. That's awesome you're having a boy and so fun for Hayden to have a little buddy. (:

Anonymous said...

UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT